Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:23:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
To:        Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choosing a 5-port switch

On 10 Dec 2000, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Would someone help me decide between Linksys EZXS55W and D-Link DSS-5+
> 5-port 10/100 switches?

The NetGear FS-105 (ask for it by name ;-) has been tested by someone on
the FreeBSD lists to be a Real Switch and is smaller than most other
five-port 10/100 switches. It doesn't have a fan and seems to run
warm/hot, but works. I've had mine running for several months and haven't
seen a single sign of failure.

I also have a Linksys which I have only been able to test out to three
ports. It seems to get the job done, but I need another PC to test with to
make sure. I prefer the Netgear because it's smaller and in a metal
case. I've taken apart my Linksys and wasn't happy with the lack of
shielding. As always, YMMV.

-----
<kris@nospam.catonic.net>   |